Pages

Sunday 29 May 2016

Saurus Warriors with spears

Continuing with the creation of a Lustria-themed set of Monsters for Warhammer Quest, this week I painted 'D6' Saurus Warriors with spears.  The spears grant them the ability 'Fight in Ranks' (attack from 2 squares away).  Following-on from my first Skinks, I really enjoyed painting these Lizardmen in the same scheme - the colours are fun, (scarlet & turquoise are my favourite colours), as are all the Aztec-like details on these effectively sentient dinosaurs.

These newer GW Saurus figures are nice, with enough variety on the sprues to make each one individual, although the available poses are much more limited than for the Skinks.  This makes sense, as Skinks are intelligent & quick, wheras Saurus are slow-witted; but I decided to carve into the necks of two, to enable simple repositioning of their heads in more interesting angles.  It was a really easy change, but I think it's effective at making them a little more dynamic.  I've picked up some packs of Temple Guard bits (shrunken heads, jawbones, tusks, spikes, golden tags, & other fetishes) for personalising my Lizardmen further, but I will save these for making some Scar-Veterans out of the basic Saurus first, & a few leftover bits may get added to the lower-ranking Warriors later.

As recommended, I painted the shields separately, & noticed that the Saurus look quite good without them too.  This has given me the idea to put together six more, but with obsidian knives made from the spear tips, & no shields.  I'd slice-off the gilt spike on the back of the head-shield, & probably file-down the spine spikes too, & call them 'New-Spawns' - freshly-spawned Saurus with worse stats than the baseline Warriors.

7 comments:

  1. Nice use of the repositioned heads to add variety! I do like the Lizard men but your limited for options when they all have to line up on square bases for Warhammer (8th). Your conversion adds a nice extra option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking as I was gluing them together that they must be a pain to rank-up in Warhammer regiments! I'd also forgotten how often you jab your fingers handling Warhammer figures, with all their spiky spears :-s

      Delete
  2. Top quality work, really love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. Kroxigor to put together next!

      Delete
  3. Nice, striking colours and detailed basing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your article is really an inspiration to many. I'll be looking forward for more of your posts. Keep it up! kind regards, pawn shops in scottsdale

    ReplyDelete