Pages

Thursday 28 September 2017

Ash clams

This week I made some ash clams for Necromunda The Outlanders supplement for the original version of Necromunda expanded the already evocative Underhive setting wonderfully, adding new gangs, gear, scenarios, treacherous conditions, & a bestiary of bizarre flora & fauna.  Ash clams are one of the few non-lethal critters to be found in the Underhive - native creatures who somehow found their way inside the hive cities.  They lie half-submerged in the rubble & detritus at ground-level, waiting to snare & devour passing creatures such as giant rats, spiders, milliasaurs etc.  Ash clams are non-lethal to humans, but can still pin them in place until their victim struggles free or manages to kill the clam.  In scenarios involving ash clams, there is a chance that one will strike any time a model moves across the ground-level.

For these ash clams, I used small empty limpet shells that I collected from a beach (specifically for this purpose) several years ago.  They got my usual urban rubble basing, using sand & tiny bits of sprue

I spent far too long deciding how to base my Necromundan flora & fauna, but eventually decided that if it moves, it will be based using conventional GW round bases, but if it is stationary (usually a plant), then it is essentially part of the scenery, so should have a thinner 'scenery' base.  As ash clams are essentially temporary stationary markers, I opted for the latter.  Next up, I'm working on some rubber moss & wire weed!

11 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea!

    I love how they've turned out too and eagerly await seeing what you come up with next!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Richard. I'm enjoying my initial foray into creating the Necromunda bestiary. As well as rubber moss, I currently have a brain leaf tree in progress on my table...

      Delete
  2. I love seeing how other gamers envision (and model) the flora and fauna of Necromunda and the rest of the Rogue Trader/WH40K universe.

    Looking forward to the rubber moss, wire weed, and brain leaf tree.

    Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Jeff. I'm finding it a nice break from painting lots of tiny modern khaki soldiers.

      Delete
  3. Sweeeeeet. I am really jazzed for the new Necromunda, glad to see others gearing up for it as well! Good stuff, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mordian. I really like the look of the new Necromunda plastics!

      Delete
  4. That heavy is in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classic! I'm feeling the pull of Necromunda...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's great to see the return of such a classic!

      Delete